Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Circles, Spots, and Dots

Long time, no blog. I can't even claim crazy busy. School is school, and at this time of the year it can wear on me. But I can say that I unwind upstairs in my sewing room. Meghan asked me months and months ago to make Taplin a quilt for his second birthday for his graduation to a big boy bed. Well, his second birthday was last week, and I actually had the quilt finished. Not mailed. Not labeled. Finished. It measures about 72" x 84" which is about a twin size. I am calling it Circles, Spots, and Dots. I think it looks pretty much like a little boy, and I hope it will suit Taplin for some years to come.
The quilting is just simple channels across the quilt about an inch a half apart, and then a vertical row for each 7" block to anchor the batting. I figure it will get washed and really used, and this would stabilize everything.
I used a leftover patch for the label. I am not always good about putting labels on my quilts, but since it's a gift...
With the leftover backing and a Michael Miller blue dot fabric, I made a pillowcase. I found a slick little pattern online, and although I put off making it for a week after the quilt was finished, it only took about 45 minutes to put together. I'm sure I'll use the pattern again.
Meanwhile, I hand pieced and hand quilted this Cheddar Checkerboard. I found the pattern on Barbara Brackman's site, and it was fun to stitch in the evenings. I did big stitch quilting in the black and green boarder, and I added some little buttons for fun.
Finished, I guess it is in the neighborhood of 24" square. I am not a great hand quilter, but I sure had fun putting this together.
I love my guys, my Oz and Allen. Last week, Allen was in Denver, and Ozzie and I had a bonding week. He is a full time attention hog. I am glad Allen's home this week, and so is Oz. His favorite spot is on Allen's lap. And although I walk him three times a day, it's just not the same as Allen taking him out all of the time and letting him play with the neighbor dogs.

2 comments:

  1. Anne at Film and ThreadApril 29, 2010 at 3:18 AM

    Your circle quilt is fantastic! That is a LOT of curved piecing. It will be such a treasure for your grandson. It's good that you put a label on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, as always!!! I think I may try to take a sewing class or two over the summer. You are always an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete