Monday, September 15, 2008

Country Living Fair

What a great weekend! Shannon invited me to go with her and two other people from work to Columbus, Ohio, for the Country Living Fair. I can't always take off work, but this time I could. I am so glad that I did! We had an excellent time, even considering the rainy, hot weather. The venue, the state fairgrounds, provided plenty of room for all of the tents, displays, seminars, and, of course, all of the people.
These are spinner gourds. We learned how to take dried gourds, clean them up, and then polish them so that they last for years. By the time we left at the close on Saturday, this display was looking a bit depleted.It rained on Friday, and rained, and rained, and rained. I love this vendor's interpretation of an umbrella tree. I was glad that I made the trip to the store before we left home to buy a small, foldable umbrella. I bought a Country Living tote bag on Friday so that I could carry my raincoat (too hot for it in spite of the rain) and the goodies that I bought.
This was one of my favorites, obviously. The shop is in Iowa, and this is the quilt commissioned for Country Living. I bought this pattern and another little one. Shannon's going to try needle punch, and Vicky liked the looms.
Speaking of weaving, I bought a long, narrow basket to either hang or to use on the dining room table. Her baskets have been in several magazines, and although they aren't oak, I just really liked them. I bought a few other things, but this was the big prize.
One of the best parts of the fair were the seminars. This one by Country Living contributing editors taught me about tablescapes with flowers and holiday items. The other one I enjoyed was no-sew or low-sew bags. We need to have a no-sew bag party now. The presenters made the ideas seem accessible and easy enough for me to try.
The road trip from Huntsville to Columbus takes about eight hours, but when you're comfortable in a new rental van, and you enjoy the company and laugh enough, the trip doesn't seem that long. Driving home through Kentucky was exciting considering the "wind emergency" in the state. This tobacco truck isn't something we see every day in Huntsville. We made it back safely by early evening even though Hurricane Ike hiked the gas prices. We saw the highest price here in Huntsville, $4.89 per gallon on Governor's Drive. Our last fill-up was a mere $4.59, but there was a ten gallon limit. In any event, I am glad I spent the weekend with Shannon. Such fun! I would love to go back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment