Friday, July 17, 2009

Jelly Roll Diamonds, FINISHED

Finished! I told Shannon the other night (when she came over when her car battery died) that hand sewing the binding is one of the most peaceful, satisfying sewing tasks I can think of. It is pretty mindless, but when it is finished, it is really finished. I was pretty ready to be at the end of this project.
I started with a jelly roll of Moda Urban Couture fabric that I got at Hancocks of Paducah this spring. That made the top go pretty quickly, even though there was a bit of a learning curve to get the seams to match up on the diagonal.
However, when I got to the setting triangles top, bottom, and sides, I was really challenged. I was perplexed about the quilting in the big triangles too, so I drew the grid on Stitch and Ditch Stablizer and pinned it on. That is a paper you can sew through and pull off later. I think that the edges ripple just a bit, something I've not really had a problem with in the past. Oh well. I try to do something new and different or challenging with each project. This time, the diamond work and the setting trianges were new, and the colors, well, not my first inclination. I learned that when you open a jelly roll, you can be surprised by the colors rolled inside. I guess this isn't my favorite that I've made, and it took longer than I expected, but it's Finished!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I love to be able to see the full picture - it really is gorgeous and different for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love how you made that quilt! I have a jelly roll of that fabric and am totally inspired by what you did with it! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I struggled with this one, but what do they say - it's the journey that is important.

    ReplyDelete