Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Few End of Summer Projects

I tried to get back in the school groove this week. It was the second full week of school, and no, I still do not know all of the names yet. I'd say I used to learn them quicker than I do now, but that would be a lie. It is always hard for me to learn everyone's name. I have about 135 students this year, plus yearbook students, plus homeroom. Maybe by the end of this week I will have them all straight. I enjoyed coming home and working a bit each evening on my August Block of the Month. Eight months finished! I think I just have four more big stars and sixteen little ones. I am pretty excited that I have stuck with it and that the blocks are easier than they used to be. This is not a quilt I will be able to quilt myself when the top is finished, I'm certain.

The other project I am working on is the batik pinwheel quilt. I found a YouTube video on how to layer the quilt using sticks. Now she says to hand baste, but I pinned it and it seemed to work well for me today. I started quilting it this afternoon, and since I'm not doing anything fancy, it is coming along quickly. Still miss having Louie sit by me. We keep getting sympathy cards which is very thoughtful. One from a neighbor was stuck in the door this afternoon.

What else this week? Allen's birthday was Thursday, so we had a birthday dinner with Shannon and Nathan, and Meghan sent a Netflix gift to Allen. He immediately (happily, I might note) ordered guy films that I will probably not see. Whatever makes him happy. What the rest of of are looking forward to -- Bama football in two weeks. Oh yeah, we've decided to do new counters and cabinets in the kitchen. The guy comes to measure on Tuesday. I gather it will be a slow-ish process by time we order and then the cabinets are made. We are pretty excited. Now what color should I paint the kitchen?

No comments:

Post a Comment