Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Fayetteville and Franklin

Oh boy, is Allen a happy camper. Look at his new truck! We picked it up Friday afternoon in Fayetteville with a whopping three miles on it. Some smart person figured out that opening the doors this way made lots of sense. The dog crate fits neatly in the back seats.
A real truck. I wonder what I can think of that Allen needs to haul home? I saw some antique cabinets earlier this summer that would fit. That is, fit in the truck. I don't have a clue where they would fit in the house.
Besides getting the new truck, we enjoyed dinner with Michelle and Mac and Uncle Nathan and Aunt Shannon. When I was grocery shopping for dinner (marinated tomatoes and green beans with walnuts and, thanks to Meghan and Justin, gulf shrimp), I saw these bright orange and green daisies and had to have them.
And then there is THE quilt top. It is finished! I haven't added up the exact number of pieces, but it is in the neighborhood of 4500 squares. I started it last summer and worked on a number of other things in the meantime. But I finally focused on finishing and went through who knows how many bobbins and several spools of thread getting to the end.
I like the fabric I picked for the back and the borders last weekend when we ran up to Franklin to Stitcher's Garden. The quilt is big. It took nine yards of backing. I can't wait to drop it off with my long-arm quilter, but when I called she was out of town for the week so it's sitting on the dining room table for a few days. By the way, it's now been eight days since I've purchased fabric. (Don't need anything, but still.)

2 comments:

  1. That is one beautiful quilt! But 9 yards of backing? It must be HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a king, about 99 inches square. Thanks for the comment. It has been quite thing to make. I hope the person who has quilted for me before is willing to do this one and that she doesn't have any big problems with it!

    ReplyDelete