Sunday, November 8, 2009

Making Progress

Not much is together or ready to go at our house. With the kitchen in progress, we have dishes and pots and pans and cleaning supplies and pictures and pottery and you name it everywhere. It is mostly all dusty and disorganized. A Mess. However, I did finish this quilt and it is ready to go. I am planning on using it on the kitchen table, but I can't try it out because the kitchen table is buried in mail and old papers, hardware for the cabinets, the old bulletin board, and and and. At least this quilt is ready to go though, and I hope it looks like what I think it will when I can dress the table with it.
This little quilt was finished last week. I bought the fabric and pattern at the Country Living Fair and started it in the hotel in Columbus. I sewed all of the trianges together by hand and then did the rest by machine. It just fits on the rocker for now. It's another little piece of quiet in our topsy turvy house.Here's the laundry room yesterday morning. Allen has the window wall painted as well as the rest of the room. Only one yellow wall to go. He moved the washer and dryer and crawled around behind everything before we went to Shannon's to watch the game (ROLL TIDE), and then he finished it this morning and moved everything back so I can at least do some laundry and get to the utility sink. No more yellow! We're excited about the new (still empty) cabinets that will work better with the washing machine lid. No more pinched fingers.
Here's the stove with the missing microwave and missing countertops. Who knows when the microwave will be re-installed, but the new cabinets look good to us. The stove top has become the main kitchen prep area without any other space to set things.
And here is the kitchen sink and dishwasher. The glass cleaner is sitting on the edge of the island without its top. We decided to put a matching counter on it as well, so it is prepped and ready for installation. Allen repainted everything in the kitchen (except for a little bit of trim work that I did last weekend), and he installed the new switch plate covers and the new blinds. Wednesday, I have a holiday for Veterans' Day, so that is when the counter comes, and then the new dishwasher and sink will happen Thursday. I'm pretty ready to put things back together.

Speaking of together, Happy Anniversary to Allen and me! Thirty-four years. I love you, Allen.

2 comments:

  1. Anne at Film and ThreadNovember 9, 2009 at 2:23 AM

    Happy Anniversary! A new kitchen is a great way to celebrate!

    Both of your quilts are beautiful. That hand pieced one looks like a LOT of work. Do you quilt yours yourself or do you send them out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I machine quilted them both. I do well enough with a walking foot, but I have no confidence whatsoever with free motion. I almost tried it on the little one, but I chickened out and did a straight pattern around the diamonds formed by the triangle pattern. The hand piecing is relaxing to me and takes away the guilt of sitting and watching television.

    ReplyDelete