Sunday, March 14, 2010

Is it almost spring?

Spring break project! Allen moved his hobby "stuff" out of the closet in my sewing room and into his own closet space, so this weekend, he started on my closet. He's taken out all of the old shelving and the clothes rod, patched everything, and painted the walls. He's going to install shelves all the way around for me. We think we last painted this room about ten years ago, and yellow seemed like a good idea then. Really, it's been a bright, happy room for me, but I am pretty tired of the yellow. I picked a neutral called Wicker, and I know I'm going to be happy with it, but next to the yellow, ugh. These two colors clash horribly. We have two walls with one coat. After another coat in the morning, we'll shift everything to that side of the room and do the rest.
I am proud of this little guy. He is 24" x 24" -- called a Cheddar Cheese and Crackers quilt. I found the pattern on a blog(Humble Quilts) and decided I couldn't resist trying to follow the directions. I guess it looks like a simple piece, but it was challenging enough to piece (and get everything in the right place for the colors), and then machine quilting always is a stretch for me. I finished it last night while we watched George Clooney in "Up in the Air" which is a good film, but not a happy film at all.
This last week has been a long one. It was the last week before spring break, the last week of the grading period, and Allen was gone to Denver. Last Sunday, Shannon and I decided to brighten the week with a trip to an antique store, one we haven't been to, and the pink elephant was my big purchase 0f the day. He's not in great shape, and I probably should not have bought him because of that, but he's a good partner for the blue guy next to him on top of the kitchen cupboard.
Spring? Well, almost. It is cold and dreary and wet and pretty unpleasant outside today. A little grocery store bouquet is a reminder that warmer, sunnier days are around the corner. And how bad can it be? Allen and I are both on vacation! Woohoo!!!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your little cheddar and crackers quilt. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for letting me know you finished your CC&C!! It's fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - I think wicker is the color we are going to do the living/dining room. Is it on the same color card with cloth and bamboo? Those are the colors in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was on a stand alone card at Lowes. It is Valspar paint, and I really do like it. It really did look awful next to the old yellow, but now we have two walls finished, and two walls with one coat to go. The yellow was showing through with one coat. We should finish tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne at Film and ThreadMarch 19, 2010 at 5:29 AM

    Love your cheddar and crackers quilt! It makes me hungry! Your little elephants are adorable, too! I hope you've had a good Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog and love it! Congratulations on finishing your CC&C quilt. It looks great. Mine is still a top. The quilt on your table is great, too.

    ReplyDelete