Sunday, February 6, 2011

Catching up

February. Guess I haven't kept up with blogging lately. It isn't because I don't want to. I just run out of time or steam or both. It has been a cold, snowy, dreary first month of 2011. Allen and I and the Oz have been working long hours. Oz loves the cold because it gives him a good excuse to snuggle on someone's lap or hang out on the couch.

The bright spots would be a trip to Mobile last weekend with Shannon  to see Meghan, Justin, and the boys, getting the bathroom finished, and spending lots of time quilting. I've finished a couple of good sized lap quilts. One is out of Kaffe fabrics, and it was machine quilted in straight diagonal lines.

Another finished project tested my free-motion skills - I am way better than I was but not proficient by far.I did finish it finally last week. Right now, I see every little thing I wish were different, but I also see some things I really am happy with. I like the color wash, and there are some spots where the quilting is just what I wanted.

One really fun project I've started is a Civil War Block of the Week from Barbara Brackman. She posts a mini history lesson and a quilt block each week. I will end up with fifty-two different blocks. I have five finished, and the instructions for the sixth week are printed and waiting with the fabrics I've picked. This is Week One - North Star.



Week two - Seven Sisters. This one took three tries because of the tiny star points. I finally ended up machine appliqueing it.



Week Three - Catch Me if You Can



Week 4- Texas Tears



Week Five - Kansas Troubles

I am having fun pulling reproduction fabrics from my stash and putting these together. Each one has been a different challenge. There is even a Flickr group going where people can post their pictures and monitor their progress through the year. Just fun!

I'm also about finished with a quilt-along blog quilt. Pictures later in a few days. Next quilting project will be the baby quilt for Georgia Mae which I think will be under way this week.

This is long enough for a Sunday evening. I am still stuffed from the stuffed mushrooms I fixed for dinner. Italian sausage stuffed portobello mushrooms.  Tasty, very rich.

I promise, bathroom pictures next. We are really happy with the work our remodeling folks did from Stanford Remodeling. We will surely have them do our next project (after the foundation fixing - ugh!).

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful finished projects! I think your free motion machine quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color wash too... really quite striking. Let up on yourself... you did well enough... and finished is better than a top...

    Can't wait to see the bathroom pics...

    and I think I will check out the Brackman page and block a week thing... more for the history lesson than the blocks... I need another UFO like I need a hole in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your free motion quilting is AMAZING! I clicked to see it larger and it is just gorgeous. Love the color wash look of that quilt. The Kaffe fabrics are just so luxurious and rich looking that I love them, too.

    Are you still liking your new machine?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi jean!
    it is so nice to meet you!
    your quilts are amazing and your pug is adorable!
    two of my favorite things!
    we have lots in common. :)
    thank you for saying hello today.
    happy valentine's day!
    melissa & emmitt

    ReplyDelete