Sunday, February 13, 2011

Quilt Along Midnight Stars

I finished my little "Midnight Stars" quilt this week. The pattern comes from a quilt-along project on Humble Quilts, a blog I enjoy following. This is her third quilt-along where she posts directions for making a little reproduction quilt. I think her directions are just great, easy to understand and quite complete. This little quilt with it's fairly detailed blocks went together really easily.

Her quilt used blue for the background, but I just didn't have any dark blues I thought would work. so mine is black, with cheddar and red. The backing is a brown piece with little gold hearts, which is perfect for a February finish. I did her Cheddar Cheese and Crackers quilt, but I haven't started the Strawberry one yet. I think I want to tackle that before spring is gone.

I also finished the block for last week's Civil War block of the week, Richmond. I like the gray and pink and brown fabrics I used. Besides these, I am working on a wall hanging for Georgia's nursery in wool applique and her yellow an gray quilt for her  room. I am about two thirds of the way finished cutting it out. I have read that cutting as you go is the way many "artists" work because they can adjust colors and such as they see they need to. I find that a much slower process, and once I get all the pieces cut, I can just sew and sew. I like that. However, I am not afraid to throw out a block and cut new fabric to fix something wrong with colors. I've been reading about design walls. Just don't know where that would work in my house. It would have to be temporary, for sure. I use the double bed in the guest room to lay out whole quilts before I sew, but I guess that is not the same.

8 comments:

  1. Your setting fabrics are wonderful! I like the way the cheddar in your blocks is accented. I think you'd enjoy the quiltalong you hasn't done yet. I think that one took the least time, and I love the setting.
    You're keeping busy, following some of the same projects I am.
    I hope you can find some place to set up a design wall, even if it's temporary and has to go up and down. I used the floor or a ping pong table for laying out blocks, and that was OK, but putting blocks on a wall gives a different perspective, a different angle. I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! The black setting fabric is terriifc and I love the two different prints. Thanks so much for adding your link to my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your setting fabric choice just makes those blocks pop! Regarding the design wall, perhaps you have a closet door that you could tape up a flannel backed vinyl table cloth to use as a design wall? The view is different when you can step back from the wall and see the fabrics interact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE love the little Midnight Stars quilt. Your colors are just perfect!!! The black sets the red and cheddar off perfectly.

    You have been a busy little bee... and I bet you could find a place for a design wall. .... Still working one our here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is wonderful! I especially love the fabrics you used for the setting triangles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like quite an intricate quilt. Beautifully done! I can't wait to see what you are making for Georgia's nursery. That is a nursery that is going to need to be in Southern Living!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful version ! Hugs from France.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jean,

    I am organizing a signature block quilt contribution by the participants of Lori's Midnight Star QAL. Could you please email me and I'll send you some details. TIA.

    Barbara J
    sanguinestitcher@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete