Friday, July 25, 2008

Wrapping up some projects

This has been a wonderfully stress free, schedule free week. I puttered around the house, and I worked a wee bit, a very wee bit, on school prep, but mostly I played on the computer and spent time in my sewing room. I actually finished a few projects, or at least I am close. This is the batik quilt that I worked on during our two week Colorado time. I hand pieced the squares, a first for me, and then I found the sashing green batik at the Great American Quilt Factory in Denver with help from one very kind woman who works there. I really enjoyed the hand piecing, which I never thought I would even try. This wasn't a complicated pattern or one with points that had to match, but I might try another one.
Now I'm working on machine quilting it. I see all of my own mistakes when I quilt like this, and I get frustrated with my lack of skill in machine quilting. However, I know that once it is finished, the little problems will fade and I will like it much better than I do right this minute. I am using my walking foot, not, I repeat not, doing free motion quilting. Maybe a smaller piece after lots of practice. The red and yellow quilt hasn't progressed this week except to be moved out of the way for the moment.This was a fun pincushion project that I played with one morning. How come I find stuffing so difficult? It seems like it would be child's play. The yellow button, by the way, has been floating around in my button jar forever. It came from something my mother made at some point. Who knows. Buttons are fun.
I used the new pincushion while I put the binding on the Green Mountain Stars quilt. Last weekend, my machine quilter Lin Hayden called to say that my quilt was ready to be picked up. I took it to her last October or November, and I was so excited to finally see it quilted. I can't imagine doing one this size myself. I spent several evenings on the binding, and Louie loved pressing up against me while I worked.
It's finished! I don't have any place big enough to spread it out. It's for our bed when the weather turns cooler. Like the other bed size quilts I've done, it is a very warm quilt. Cozy. I won't be too excited to let Louie on it. This quilt took more thinking, especially the border. I am pretty proud of it. I had no idea that this quilting thing would be so addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment