Sunday, May 17, 2009

Another week in May

The highlight of the week had to be having dinner for Shannon, and her Sew Beautiful compatriots, Leighann and Vicki. The four of us went to the Country Living Fair last September, and we're already looking forward to September for the next road trip. Allen spent the week at a conference in Orlando (Is seeing Don Henley perform work?? and how old do you have to be to know all of the lyrics??), so it was the perfect evening for a girls' dinner. We laughed and talked, and I had such a nice evening.
Here is the sewing room cleaned up for company. Actually, I love straightening up between projects and planning the next. I have two projects sitting on the corner of the table, Shannon's big red and yellow quilt to finish, and a hand project in my head. What's that saying? So many quilts (or mountains or whatever), so little time. I am so looking forward to summer vacation which is just days away. This week will be the last full week that I work, and then next week is Memorial Day, two make-up days, and a teacher work day. I know I have summer travel and visitor plans, but the rest of the time, well, I'll be in my sewing room.I am so proud of myself for sticking with my Block of the Month from The Quilt Show. It is challenging and takes time and concentration to complete the blocks.
I competed four different stars with thirty six pieces and then eight sawtooth stars this month. I finally seem to be improving with my accuracy. They actually measured what they were supposed to when I finished, and I didn't have to re-sew most of the seams multiple times. Allen and I were talking at lunch about how so many people seem to think that expecting children to really have to work hard at a skill is somehow harmful. Wrong, wrong, wrong. If I work and work at something and practice, why gee golly, at some point, I improve. Meghan and I have the same "teacher" conversation regularly too. What's wrong with really working and struggling to do something new?Here are the components of the beast so far. Seven months to go. Meanwhile, school tomorrow, work for Allen, and oh, Louie??? Yes, he's here. Stealing underwear from the sorted laundry piles today. Today, he was sneaking around while I was upstairs and Allen was outside, and he was sitting in the hall with a whole collection of socks and underpants. He has practiced until he has it down pat.

No comments:

Post a Comment