Sunday, May 3, 2009

How I Spent My May Days Swine Flu Vacation

With a couple of school holidays due to the swine flu outbreak in Madison County, I set about quilting my batik applique quilt. The quilt has 144 batik circles, all hand appliqued on to 144 squares which I then set together. I used the book Foolproof Machine Quilting by Mary Mashuta to figure out how to machine quilt this one. I love the way it turned out, and while it was time consuming and a bit tedious, I really didn't run into any snags. I will use her ideas again, no doubt. I just am not confident about free motion quilting, especially on a large quilt where I have invested hours and hours.
Here it is finished. Not sure if I will hang it up, put in on the dining room table, or what, but for now, I guess I will put it on the balcony rail. I really had fun making this.
Yesterday, I finished all of the machine work just in time to sit down and enjoy the Kentucky Derby with Allen and Louie. Having just been to Kentucky through horse country, we were looking forward to the race. Louie gets very excited when you say, "TV -- Dogs!!" Poor Louie, I think he thought there were dogs racing on his TV. He was fascinated and watched closely. I sat and hand sewed the binding which was finished by bedtime.
Umm, yes, that sure is a mint julep. We picked up this year's glasses while we were in Lexington last month. Today, we are staying in mostly. It is raining. We have had over five inches in the last several days, I'm sure, and it just keeps coming down. We try to sneak in Louie walks in the lulls. The school district is meeting with EMA folks at 3 this afternoon to decide on any possible closings this week. Allen and I were recalling the swine flu scare in the 70's when it hurt so many pig farmers. It's pretty crazy, but I have had a great little vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment