Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Christmas in July



Yes, it is really July. Proof? Peaches and Cream corn on the cob and



Chilton County peaches.  We had fun Saturday heading off to the Farmer's Market. Tonight's dinner was really wonderful: pineapple and bourbon marinated salmon and sauteed black-eyed peas with Vidalia onions and sweet red bell pepper.

But it felt more like Christmas today.



Nope, not because of my carved quilt Santa in my sewing room closet....



And surely not the weather --- Ozzie is hot from his walk.



It's because my new Bernina Aurora 440QE was delivered! I set it up and sewed some patches I had already cut and ready, and then I worked my way through all of the embroidery stitches on a sample patch. I didn't get the big embroidery module. Don't think that's really what I'd get my money's worth from, but I can buy it and add it if I change my mind. I was so impressed that Gina's called yesterday with the shipping costs, and it arrived today. I am itching to try the stitch regulator, but I decided to go with some basics today and get the feel of the new machine first. Tomorrow, new adventures!



I'm working on a pyramid quilt out of batiks. Fun and easy, and I think it will be perfect for quilting with the BSR.



This weekend I finished my applique project from the Denver trip. Ozzie likes it.



And I made this fun Civil War Buckshot Pincushion from a Marcus Brothers pattern. I guess they were originally filled with buckshot. I opted for crushed walnuts with a yo-yo and a button from my mom's buttons to top it off.  My new machine opens up all sorts of new possibilities. Merry Christmas (in July) to me!

5 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! It does seem like Christmas with your new machine and all the fun projects you got done. The applique is gorgeous. Ozzie looks so cute in front of it. He is probably wishing for Christmas so it will be cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! For new machines! Have fun! And Peaches and Cream sweet corn in my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your adventure sounds just as much fun as mine!!! I wish I had the Bernie 440 w/BSR.... too. But I think I would take just about anything at the moment.

    Love the wall hanging, and I don't think there are too many things Ozzie doesn't like... well maybe a bath or toenail clipping.

    Beth-Pretoria, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the aplique and the batik! I so wish my machine and I didn't argue so much. But even so, I'm thinking about trying my hand at a quilt for the dining room table. Don't know how that got in my head, do ya? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum Yum, corn and peaches look delicious. We are enjoyind corn here in Tennessee, too. Just found your blog through TQS. I have a Bernina with BSR also...love it. I'm working on getting several quilts quilted. I have 3 sandwiched and ready to go.

    ReplyDelete