Friday, July 16, 2010

Has the summer heat made me crazy?



We had such fun with the boys! Our plan was pretty simple: Divide and conquer. We planned activities together with all of us for some of the time, but then we built in time where the boys would be separated so that we could really enjoy each of the individually. One of my favorite afternoons was when Taplin was sleeping, and Bridger was playing on the floor of my sewing room. I told him how when I was little I would stay at my grandparents' house for a week or so, and I got to play with my grandma's buttons. Bridger spied mine on a shelf and asked if he could play with them. He was occupied for a long time with one simple jar of black and whites.



When they were together, they were a handful. My hat is off to you, Meghan. They have tons of energy. All of the activities we had planned to wear them out worked. But they wore us out too! I think they had fun, but I guess nothing is as good as going home with Mommy and Daddy.



They headed home after a Sunday brunch -- French toast casserole with praline topping, blueberries and strawberries, and sausage.



Sunday afternoon, I was working on a yellow and black nine patch quilt top (more on this in another blog, but it will become a baby quilt for our nephew's little boy!) when I took a break to check my email. An invitation -- an opportunity! My blog friend Anne from Film and Thread wanted to know if I would go with her to the AQS Knoxville Quilt Show. What the heck, why not? Well, sure, I'd never actually met her, but I felt pretty comfortable having exchanged emails and blog comments for some time. The plan was made. I drove out to her house Wednesday morning, and off we headed to Knoxville. The three and a half hour trip was quick because we had lots to talk about.



Anne really was tempted by this frame system which would turn her domestic sewing machine into a quilting machine. The plan was to go to all of the venders and then check out the quilts (400 or so of them, I think). Wow. We walked and looked and talked and oohed and aaah-ed. Her mom came from Asheville, NC for the afternoon too. What a delightful person! Of course, Anne restrained herself. Me???? No. I bought a new Bernina, an Aurora 440QE. To be fair, I have been thinking about this machine for some time now, and I did call and talk to Allen several times about the price and such, and he agreed that the price was right. However, how unlike me to drive two hundred miles from home with someone I'd never met AND buy a new machine. However, no buyer's remorse yet. I haven't heard that they've shipped it yet (saving tax $), but I'm waiting!



While I wait, I will sew on my "old" machine (Shannon's "new" machine). I tried out a Schnibbles pattern. Lots of fun, not too big, pretty quick, not perfect. When the new machine arrives and I figure out the BSR (Bernina stitch regulator), I will have a couple of tops ready to quilt!  AND -- did I mention I met Alex Anderson from The Quilt Show?? Such a warm, gracious person!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, love how the little quilt looks! Must be close to finished. I love the gray and red together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos of the grandkids - they are cuties!! Congratulations on the new Bernina - I love, love mine. Your 4th table setting was wonderful, it bet it made the good food taste even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad we finally got to meet! It was so much fun. I just wish we had even more time to look at everything, but luckily we had tons of time in the car to talk!

    Love the picture of you and Alex Anderson. I think she enjoyed meeting you as much as you did her because she really wanted to talk to you for a long time.

    That black, white and yellow quilt is going to be wonderful! I am loving the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your "Grandma Camp" was a whole lotta fun for everyone! Glad you got to get to Knoxville. Have fun with your new machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were happy to see you in Knoxville! Hope you will come back next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to have found your blog. LOVE the red white and blue quilt on the table. And love the schnibbles too!

    ReplyDelete