Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Hotel Sewing

This is my 1941 Featherweight all set up to sew in the hotel room. She hums right along, even though she feels tiny after using my new big girl Bernina. I bought a little red Trolley case last summer, and she is easy to haul and set up.




I used a pattern that I bought up at Chatanooga Quilts(Fat Quarter Quilitng: Simply Charming - 9 Small Quilts by Lori Smith) and had the fabric cut and ready to go. It didn't take long the first night to chain piece all of the strips.
The second night, I made the four patches. Since the strips started out at 1 1/2 inches, these are not very big.
I carefully laid out all of the rows with the setting triangles and stitched the rows one evening. The next evening, I put the rows together into the top. We stayed in hotels seven nights, so I guess I should have taken a little bigger project or two projects. Hotel sewing works well for us. Allen doesn't mind having the television choice to himself while I sew for an hour or so, and the Featherweight is quiet, so it doesn't bother him. I used to get fidgety or anxious in the evenings on trips, but no more!
I quilted this at home on the Bernina, added the binding, took the picture, ....and then noticed the mistake. It is going to live there since I am not un-quilting it at this point. It is about 16 x 18 inches finished. I like it, but geez, the turned block is pretty glaring to me. Oh well, I had fun, and there are eight other patterns to try.

2 comments:

  1. I had a comment all written on the tablet... and before I could publish.... poof... gone because the screen was touched in the wrong place by accident!!! Good thing the sewing was the important part of the project... and not the quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have noticed the turned block if you hadn't mentioned it! But now that you pointed it out, I see it. Just think of it as "charm". :)

    ReplyDelete