Friday, June 25, 2010

Two Weeks in Colorado

Ozzie's home from his two week vacation at summer camp, otherwise known as the kennel. He makes friends with everyone, so I doubt that he missed us much. However, he seemed pretty happy when I picked him up yesterday, and he immediately found his spot at the top of the steps to work on a chew.



Shannon and I flew together June 10 and headed straight to Joan and Frank's for the afternoon while we waited for Allen's flight to arrive. Frank has such a great little garden in the back.

The big excitement was when Nathan arrived a few days later and he finally got to meet Shannon's Grandma and "Grandpa" Frank. (Poor Frank had a skin cancer blue light treatment the day before, so that explains the redness.) We loved visiting with them and seeing Allen's sister Joni as well.



We took a drive up to Echo Lake below Mount Evans and had lunch in Idaho Springs for our first mountain trip on Friday. I've never taken a mountain drive on such a foggy day. The views were not spectacular, but it was still beautiful (creepy too).



The weekend was soggy, and the rain kept us down in town, but rainy weather is perfect for quilt shop hopping. We hit The Great American Quilt Factory, Harriet's Treadle Arts, Creative Needle, Fabric Expressions, and Holly's Quilt Cabin, and yes, yes, yes, I bought more than necessary at each one. Sunday we went on a hunt for a store Shannon suggested,  Fancy Tiger. What a neat little place close to downtown Denver. And yes, I spent money there as well.  When Allen had to work Monday, Shannon and I drove to Parker to High Prairie Quilts, and yes, I still added more to my stash. I might have made a second trip to a couple of these. Might have. I brought home very little in my suitcase, so when the UPS man delivers today, it will be like Christmas for me.



At Fancy Tiger



At High Prairie Quilts

Tuesday's big adventure after driving to the Denver International Airport and picking up Nathan (which I have never driven without Allen - and it is at least 40 miles from our hotel) was a quick trip to Golden to tour the Coors Brewery. With a quick stop at the Golden Quilt Company.  Allen and I went back up to Golden this past weekend to visit the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum, and I loved seeing the nineteenth century Mennonite quilts on display. The most amazing one was one hand pieced by an eight-year-old that had 16,000 pieces.



Shannon's happy to see Nathan! Now we have to get him up into the mountains. First stop, Lookout Mountain and...



Clear Creek Canyon with icy cold water.



Poor Allen had to work while we drove up to Fort Collins to the New Belgium Brewery. We didn't have reservations, but we somehow were treated to a private tour. What a great place to work  - they get off for Valentine's Day and Earth Day (a green company), and their benefits are above and beyond.



I guess the highlight of the trip was an overnight stay in Leadville, which is the country's highest incorporated city at 10,430 feet. Nathan didn't sleep well. He said he gasped for air all night. Maybe it was digesting that 20 oz. prime rib from Quincy's.



The next day, we drove down to Buena Vista. Joan and Frank no longer own their home there, but they still get up to visit family and old friends, and we couldn't skip a walk along the Arkansas River



and a quick trip to Bongo Billy's for coffee before we headed over Boreas Pass and down to Breckenridge.



Then back to the heat here in Alabama. Still, it's good to be home with a pug on my feet. The mail from the last two weeks will probably be delivered today, Allen's due back on this afternoon's flight, and the UPS man should be here with my box from all that shopping any time now!

3 comments:

  1. We will be heading to our cabin in Colorado in a couple weeks. If you are near Buena Vista again, you might check out where Tincup is... Our cabin is up near there. We go every summer for two or three weeks, and sometimes more than once. Tis great to get away from the heat here in Texas. No quilt shops near there is one bad thing though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been through Tincup! One rainy day last summer we took a long drive in the rain with my in-laws through Buena Vista over Cottonwood Pass and had lunch at a little restaurant by a lake and then through Tincup. Such a fun day! My mother-in-law has a campground space at CORA in South Park, but she hasn't been up there in a long while due to her health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't those stores just wonderful? We did Denver... in 2006... the Coors Tour was the highlight and didn't have time to do more tours of beer brewerys or much else.. in the way of shopping. The boys wanted to fish, oh well.

    Love up the dog... a little for me... My guy is in the kennel but plan to visit him on Monday!!! The cat is probably sleeping... but missing me.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete