Thursday, May 29, 2008

What's missing?

Chinese Checkers and a turtle all in one! Shannon found this last weekend in Daphne. I'm glad she didn't miss it on the shelf. He's very cool. He is taking up residence in my sewing room with the other Chinese checker boards. I have this idea that one day I will quilt a Chinese checkerboard as a wall hanging. I even bought some black and red dragon fabric to use. Maybe this guy will serve as inspiration for that little project. All I'm really missing is time. So many quilt ideas, so little time. When Shannon and Nathan came by last night, I tried out a new recipe on them. Butter bean salad. It was probably better today than last night, a little pepperier. Maybe Nathan thought that jalapeƱo peppers were missing yesterday, but he added his Texas Pete's. I love simple, healthy recipes like this one that I saw as an ad in my current issue of Southern Living magazine.
And we had an old standby, "fork sticks" as Meghan called them when she was little. To me, this is what barbecue pork is, but most people here think of pulled pork. St. Louis style pork steaks mean summer. Although the Jack Daniels barbecue sauce was good, I wish I had a bottle of original Mauls from Dierbergs grocery. I miss a few things from St. Louis: family and friends, the St. Louis Post Dispatch, baseball Cardinals, variety from bigger grocery stores, Mauls... but I don't miss the bigger city traffic, winter snow and icy weather, searing summer heat. Yes, it really does get hotter there than here. Louie hopes I won't miss the strip of fabric he has stolen. Sure, he looks cute here, but chasing him to get things back is a big pain. If Allen and I have him between us, he will meekly sit and spit. What I mean is, he spits out whatever he has in his slimy dog-breath mouth. He knows what he has done, and he knows he has to forfeit his treasure. Then he's embarrassed and wants to make up. See, he's not really missing a conscience, he just wants to play.Dinner tonight? If you aren't here, you're missing a treat. When Allen is finished with his marathon of telecons, we'll have shrimp from Cajun Cafe that he steamed earlier this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment