Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday Fun in Franklin


Allen and I took a day trip to Franklin, Tennessee today. We took Highway 31 North instead of I65, and that took us through a number of sleepy southern towns and some beautiful Tennessee land. This is the Giles County Courthouse in Pulaski. Pulaski is best known as the birthplace of the KKK, but the city has disowned the Klan. We took a walk around the square and took in an antique store too. Rock on, Allen.I got a kick out of the street art Uncle Sam.Turkey art?
We ate at an Irish pub in Franklin. The bath shop next door was blowing bubbles, a whole different take on street art, I guess.Uh oh. More batik for my stash. Allen (happy in the rocker in the lobby) couldn't believe I didn't buy even more and sent me back in more than once. When I was a kid, Mom did a majority of her fabric shopping at Famous Barr, a department store. I don't really remember her going to a real fabric store, much less a quilt shop. Surely she wouldn't have bought fabric with an idea that someday she might use it in something. That would have been way beyond her budget (mine too in years with little kids at home). Actually, quilting has sort of had a revival since the 1970's, and I guess I was out of the house by then. The Stitcher's Garden where we went has been in business in Franklin for seventeen years, the owner told me, and she is planning a move closer to the highway by the end of the year. Anyway, since Mom couldn't or wouldn't learn to drive (probably couldn't knowing how miserable Dad would have made her trying to teach her), she either had to walk a mile or so to the bus and go alone or have Dad take her in the evening while he would "patiently" wait. It is fun having Allen support my addictive hobby (not that he has any addictive or expensive hobbies).
We went to The Factory before heading home. What a neat old building. They made Magic Chef products there at one time. We just walked through and got a feel for the place, drooled over some Amish furniture at one shop, and had fun at an antique store there. Louie is glad we're home though.

No comments:

Post a Comment